Wednesday, January 20, 2016

My Truth About Newsletters

Newsletters are hard, y'all. They used to be easier. So much to tell and with such fervor.

But, now I'm living in Thailand. Nearly eight months into my 2 yr term and this is my life now. Driving on the left side of the road. Language school. Playing with the kids at the center. Eating rice or noodles for most meals. Riding a motorcycle. Being mostly disconnected from what's going on in America. Only seeing my family on the screen of my phone. Missing birthdays and holidays and little moments. Wearing flip flops year round. Being 13 hours ahead of my family.

So how do I decide what to write about? What part of my everyday life do I share? There aren't too many things that seem out of the ordinary that scream "people need to see this!". Don't get me wrong. I LOVE sharing #thelifeofThai with you. I really like doing what I can to let you into my new life. It is a fun, challenging, sometimes lonely, happy, fulfilled life.

Imagine, if you will, that you had to write an update about your life...

"I sent some emails today."
"Gave a high five to a coworker that found out he's going to be a dad."
"The kids took a nap today."
"Turned in a report that wasn't due until tomorrow."
"At lunch I paid for my friend's meal."

Lol!

Everyday life doesn't seem newsworthy but I try my best to share with you what I'm experiencing. I hope that you feel like you are part of what I'm doing. If there is anything you want to know more about feel free to contact me. Like I said, most of my life here has become normal.

Though most of it is my new normal, God is doing some amazing things!!

Spending time with the kids at the center and getting to know them is one of my favorite things to do. Seeing the older students become young adults and maturing in the Lord makes me so proud. Nearly every week since I've been here new students have started going to the center. Not because of me but because of what God is doing. They get to hear about Jesus every week. For as long as they go to the center they will know that Jesus loves them. And hopefully they will take that with them the rest of their lives.  I am building a good relationship with my Thai teacher. We even hang out outside of class.

Newsletters are hard. So much has become my new normal and so much is happening. It is hard to put into a short letter but I try.

If you want to keep up with what I'm doing in between newsletters follow me on social media.

Facebook Twitter Instagram

Much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment